Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Discovering New Books and Authors

How does one find new authors and books these days? Personally, I grew up visiting bookstore, new and used. Inside those walls, there were (even now) rows and rows of bound books. I would find the genre I read and look at the covers and titles. I was trying to discover new books to read and the cover or even the title would be what caught my eye. Then, I would flip it over and read what the book was about.

That's how I discovered so many favorite books and authors back in the day. Today, it's a little more of a challenge. Why? Because my bookstore doesn't have the same amount of books as it did in years past. Games, movies, and other non book material now take up the space once occupied by those precious books. So finding a new author has become harder.

Recently, I have been getting books based off of authors I like and read along with what friends have to say. Most of the time, they are great and it means that I have something to talk to my friends about. Or in some cases, complain about. Then there is that rare case where a Facebook sponsored ad will pop up and it will actually sound good. Yes, I have in fact found authors that way as well.

Recently, I have been participating in a book club. (I've mentioned it before I believe, not that it matters.) Some of the books we have read have been home runs, while others are a bunt gone wrong. (Baseball is the only sport I actually understand and know the terminology on. Oh, how I miss the 2008 days of when I became immersed in the culture. Hey the Tampa Bay Rays made it to the World Series. How epic is that when you are just starting to watch a team.) Digression at its finest.

Just this week, I decided to give a book my husband actually saw and thought looked good. The cover is different as is the story. It's a fantasy novel. Not Epic or High that I can tell, but it would be in the same type of universe as Dungeons and Dragons or Lord of the Rings.


Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames is a book that I've barely cracked open and it so far I like it. There is something about this kind of book that is great. It really does transport you to another world. Since I'm not done with this book, I can't actually review it.

Something else I will be trying are ARCs and posting reviews. It's a new way to try an author and to help promote them. I'll be posting stuff randomly. There are all sorts of things I want to try out. I might even start playing with recipes and posting them as yummy snacks with reading. I'm not at all pretty in the kitchen, yummy sure, pretty not so much.

Pairing books with food or drinks sounds fun. Like when an author posts playlists while they were reading. Bringing fun into reading is well, FUN. I'm off to do some more reading and sipping on my tea. Today I've gone with a green jasmine. Light and yummy.

Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment