Tuesday, February 21, 2017

A bit on the Dark Side

I somehow polished off a couple more books before the weekend was through. I was in a bit of a "What to read next?" slump after all the other books I read. It's something that happens a lot. I guess it's why I jump from book to book sometimes. My poor brain has so much stuffed into it.

I remember the days before the Kindle where books were made with paper and paper only. Well, except for baby books cause those are sometimes plastic and cloth. But with paper books, there is a space issue and back then cost was a major factor. There are so many free books out there. Some are fantastic while others are something that makes you question why you thought it was a good idea to get in the first place. (Yes, I've been here and done that.) At the very least, a really good book can only cost .99 cents with the price going up from there.

I grew up in bookstores and also science museums. I loved the written word more than anything else as a kid. Nancy Drew was one of my favorite series to read. Getting lost in the worlds on the page was all I wanted to do. If I want to be honest, I still want to do it. Only now my worlds involve a lot more than a teenage girl solving a mystery with her boyfriend.

As I was saying, due to the influx of books I can devour, I forget a lot about a book unless it leaves a mark. Even then, it could get jumbled about and confused. There have been times, (today even), where I'll recall vividly a passage from something I've read but not the title or author or even *gasp* the character names. It's super annoying, I can tell you that. Then once that passage is found, another one pops up.

So, while I have a good selection of real live books, I have more electronic ones. Books to read will never be a problem. Ever. Keeping them straight on the other hand is going to be insane. Just saying. They already are. lol.

I'm going to play around with how I set up posts on here until I find something that works the best for me. Without further delay, I have two books to discuss today.


The one on the right,  Predator, was one I got free (though the price has returned to normal). I liked the sound of it and the cover was interesting to me as well. I wasn't completely sure of what I was about to embark on. I mean only so much can be put into a blurb without giving anything away and still get a reader interested. (Blurbs are hard to write. At least for some.) I pulled up book in all of its electronic glory. Saying I cracked open the book just doesn't work here. :/

Needless to say, the author throws you right into the deep end of the pool while a whirlpool is forming to suck you in. The only reason I didn't read this one straight through was because of bed and work. Though I did knock a chunk of it out before I went to bed. There were a few moments of OMG what is going to happen next.

Cara is a woman on the run from someone out to kill her. Her parents have been killed and she's been on the run since. Then she is found and taken. From there, bad things happen and as the reader you wonder how it's going to turn out. Enter Damian. He pulls her out and saves her life. The book switches between both of their POVs so you get a better story line.

I really liked Damian though he did have a few "man" moments of cluelessness. He was all about protecting Cara from outside threats and even from herself. He is a "cleaner" and he saves people. Cara was perfect for him because she was a fighter. Throughout the entire book she fought, even when you weren't sure she was.

I'm looking forward to reading more from this author. So onto the book by Shari Slade. Devil's Host MC is the complete series of four shorter works. Some time ago I read the first part and enjoyed it. I was waiting for other parts to be completed and had every intention of picking them up separately when I discovered they were bundled. I was happy. Less single books are always nice.

Star and Noah are the main characters in this MC romance. Star is a down on her luck woman with Noah being the enforcer of the MC he is a member of. There is plenty of sex in this book and thank goodness it was all bundled together because each book ends in a cliffhanger. There is plenty going on between these characters. Noah is a rough man with a tender heart.

That's all I've got for now. I'm slowly working my way though a few other books. Kind of bouncing between genres at this point because I can't seem to commit. There are too many books. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Though I am reading Nalini Singh's Archangel's Heart. I love this series and have for many years. So a chapter here and there while reading other books with allow me to stretch out the story a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment