Sunday, February 3, 2019

Slacking and Shark Shifters

Yesterday was Saturday and I slacked off on so many things. Why? Because I was gaming online. I play Elder Scrolls Online aka ESO and I had things to accomplish. What might you ask is more important than reading the thousands of books on my TBR pile? Questing and crafting. That's what. Also killing things. Killing things is fun, especially when you get awesome drops. Not that it happens often. But I enjoy it none the less. There's not a lot to think about in the game. Not like when I was playing DnD. That game was stressful. Rolling die is not my strong suit.

I also got to see Ant-man and the Wasp. It was a fun superhero movie. Lots of corny one liners. Nothing to the scale of Deadpool, but to be fair, I don't think there is a scale to what Deadpool says or does. (I'm a Deadpool fan.)

A few days ago, I finished Bite Me Harder by Chris Genovese. I'd read book one some time ago and was intrigued by the notion of shark shifters. I mean wolves have dominated the shifter world. There are also bears and felines as well. Heck one of my favorite shifters is a honey badger. Yes, it's a thing. I digress. Seriously, shark shifters are badass motherfuckers.

In book one, the story is all about tiger sharks with a great white or two at the end. But the author ramps up the story of book two by adding more great whites. (My favorite. Enter Jaws theme song.) Plus, a gang of hammerheads.

The reader is brought on a journey through three POVs. Rafe, Kalina, and Sylvia bring the story to life. We pick up basically where book one ends so it's a fantastic idea to read book one to know what's going on. Can you read book two first? Most likely, but to get the emotional depth of the story, book one is required. That being said. Spoilers are certain to follow. Actually, they are going to follow so beware.

We begin with Sylvia's POV. This is the part that directly correlates to book one. She was on a party barge which ended up attacked by the villain, Evelyn, and her tiger lackey sharks. As we know if we've read book one, lots of people died as well as some of the sharks. Sylvia's best friend Penny was the love interest of Thane and became a tiger shark when she mated with Thane. Sylvia is having PTSD as well as feeling guilty for not being the friend she should have been. What happens? She returns to the land down under to find Penny.

We then meet Rafe, who is a man that loves all creatures and the ocean itself. I really liked this character and how laid back he was. At first, I thought he was going to end up with Sylvia, but he was human and she would be with a shark. Fast forward and we meet sweet Kalina. (Rafe's girl.) This was a great pairing seeing as they fell in love at first sight. (Shifter mojo is my theory.)

Throughout all of this we discover a gang (no other word for it) of hammerheads are creating havoc. (We find this out at a later time.) And we meet Coby, Poet's big brother. Now, he's a shark that I wouldn't mind being around. Savage is the word used in the book and he is certainly that in all aspects. He's appeared to find out what happened to his baby brother, and to exact revenge. And he's a Great White as well. Only, he might actually need theme music because of how dangerous he is.

Sylvia turns out to be the only one to sooth the great white that is Coby and their romance begins. Okay, a shit ton of sex begins and then some feelings. The other couple takes a bit of time to get it on, but they are sweet and adorable. Coby is neither of those things. I mentioned savage right? Just checking cause sweet and adorable does not savage make. Coby is actually able to help Sylvia and her PTSD, by turning her into a great white.

There is Evelyn and her evil gang of hammerheads and also Keenan Kane- Shark Hunter. (There is a twist but I don't wanna spoil something that is kind of obvious and yet sneaky.) The massive fight scene is epic in so many ways and there is a small side story of Penny and Thane told through the eyes of all the characters. The detail in the brutality of the fighting was remarkable. So many emotions were running though me as the fight unfolded. Not everyone makes it out, people are hurt, and yet there is a victory.

There are happy endings of course, but at the same time there is a lot left to be written. Characters that need to find their own mates while others need to be hunted down and gutted like a fish. Am I vengeful toward a certain shark woman? You bet I am. She is evil and I can't wait to see how she is finished off.

Coby was my favorite out of this book even though he never tells the story from his POV. Sylvia did a great job portraying him to where I loved his brooding nature. He is the ultimate bad boy. Rafe was sweet and could hold his own no doubt about it. Heck he saved a seagull in the beginning of the book.

Romance, Action, with a dash of humor made this a fun and entertaining read. The author has started a MC romance series that I've read this year and loved. But that can be talked about another day. So check out Chris' work and have fun playing with the sharks.

Happy reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment